Chris Fuller  

Top Lunch Places in the Loop

Posted by Chris Fuller
Saturday, November 21, 2009

I love working in Chicago, and especially in the Loop. My favorite activity is lunch. My friends and I work very hard to find the best lunch places.

Note: I am not including any place that is out of my daily lunch budget, so The Rivers and Lloyds, though excellent restaurants, get excluded because they are too pricey for me to go to without a special occasion. I also don't include any carry-out only places. We go to these sometimes too, but I prefer a sit down lunch, (SRO is my only exception to this rule).

My favorites list is made up of sit-down places I can go to with my friends, any day of the week. Here are my favorites:

1. Heaven on 7 (original)

Rating: ****

Cuisine: New Orleans

Location:
7th floor of the Garland Building -
111 N Wabash Ave (Wabash & Washington)

Specialty: Gumbo

Known for: New Orleans style atmosphere and food.





My Notes:
Heaven on 7 is located on the 7th floor of the office building near the corner of Wabash and Washington. Get there by 11:30 if you don't want to wait in line. The atmosphere is great, the service is good and the food is consistent and delicious.

Downside:
I've been told that if I ever go to New Orleans, I won't like this restaurant anymore. The facts are that I've never been to New Orleans, and I love the food and atmosphere at this favorite.


2. Poag Mahones

Rating: ***

Cuisine: Bar food

Location: 333 S Wells

Specialty: Hamburgers

Known for: Good food and great service






My notes: Great atmosphere, friendly wait staff and really good food. The Garbage Salad and Cheeseburger are my favorites. The Catfish Po' Boy is good too.

Downside: This place fills up fast. Get there by 11:30, or you might have to wait for a table.


3. Franklin Tap

Rating: ***

Cuisine: Bar food

Location: 325 S Franklin (just South of the Sears Tower)

Specialty: Iced Tea, Sweet Potato Fries

Known for: Good food, best Iced Tea in the loop and attractive waitresses






My Notes: This place has the best Iced Tea in the loop. They have very good service. This is a great place to meet friends and hang out.

Downside: A little pricey for what it is.


4. Amarit
Rating: ****

Location: 600 South Dearborn

Cuisine: Thai

Specialty: Thai Cuisine

Known for: Quiet, relaxed atmosphere, best Thai food in the loop and good service.



My Notes:
This is a great place to bring friends if you want to relax and talk. It's relatively quiet and is relaxing and comfortable. My favorites are Tom Yum Soup and Yum Tah Lai (Seafood Salad)

Downside:
This place is a bit of a hike - it's South of Congress on Dearborn, so you might even say it's not even in the loop, but it's close enough and the food is worth the walk if you like Thai and catch a nice day.


5. SRO (Standing Room Only)

Rating: ***

Cuisine: Sandwiches

Location: 610 S Dearborn St

Specialty: Chicken Sandwich

Known for: Chicken Sandwich





My Notes: The owners of this place are great guys - they've been at this location for over 10 years now. They do a great job.

Downside: Unless it's a nice day, the seating is extremely limited. It's a great carry out place, or if it's a nice day, you can sit near the sidewalk. Otherwise, forget it - too crowded to eat in there comfortably.


6. Boni Vino
Rating: ***
Cuisine: Italian

Specialty: Meatball Sandwich

Known for: Friendly wait staff and location





My Notes: The owners of this place is friendly and greets us at the door on the way in and thanks us on the way out. For some reason, we always get the same waitress. We either tip her too much or she likes us.

Downside: Boni Vino is great for lunch, but the atmosphere is nothing fancy.. It's a greasy spoon, family run Italian place.



7. Monk's Pub

Rating: ***

Location: 205 W Lake St

Cuisine: Bar food

Specialty: Hamburgers

Known for: Atmosphere and hamburgers





My Notes: This place is great, but it gets crowded, so get there early.

Downside: If you're not there by 11:30, be prepared to wait - this place fills up fast.


8. Venice Cafe

Rating: **

Cuisine: Italian

Location: 233 South Wacker

Specialty: Calzone


Known for: Red sauce - as good as you will find anywhere.




My Notes: The calzones are fantastic - that is the only thing I've ever had there. The way they do the soda there is really annoying. It's serve-yourself fountain and they charge way too much for it, making what was a good deal an average deal at best.

Downside: This place used to be located across the street from the Sears (Willis) Tower, which was a great location. It's now located in the basement of the Sears (Willis) Tower and the atmosphere is average at best.


9. Boston Blackies

Rating: ***

Cuisine: Bar food

Location: 120 S Riverside Plz

Specialty: Hamburgers, home-made chips

Known for: Nice, friendly atmosphere, large proportions.



My Notes:
Very large portions. If you're hungry, this is the place to go. Every time I go there, I leave feeling like I need a nap.

Downside:
This place is very popular, so get there by 11:30 or you will have to wait.


10. Marquette Inn
Rating: **

Cuisine: Comfort food

Location: 135 West Madison

Specialty: Gyros



Known for: 1970s decor, friendly wait staff



My Notes: This place is a classic. There used to be locations all over the loop. Several have closed, but there are still a few around.

Downside: There is nothing fancy about this place. It is what it is - a greasy spoon diner. If you want a classic, dependable place with good comofort food, Marquette Inn is for you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home